Are you a fan of pizza? If so, then you have certainly heard the term ‘New York style’ pizza. But what is it exactly? This blog post will explore what is New York style pizza and its unique ingredients to help you get an understanding of why this type of pizza has become such an iconic dish. We’ll look at various interpretations and where to try it for yourself. So read on to learn more about this classic slice that may have originated in Naples, but has become a popular favorite all over the US. Fi
- 1 What Is New York Style Pizza?
- 2 New York Pizza Is The History Of Pizza
- 3 Difference Between New York-Style Pizza And “Regular” Pizza
- 4 Is New York-Style Pizza Thick Or Thin?
- 5 How To Make New York-Style Pizza?
- 6 What Toppings Are On A New York-Style Pizza?
- 7 How To Store New York Style Pizza?
- 8 What To Serve With NYC Pizza?
What Is New York Style Pizza?
First, let’s exploring what is New York style pizza. New York style pizza, also known as NY slice or just ‘slice’, is a type of pizza characterized by its large, wide and thin crust. The most distinctive feature of this style of pizza is that it’s cooked in a coal-fired oven giving the crust a smoky flavor and crispy texture. This method originated in the early 1900s when Neapolitan immigrants brought their traditional pizza recipes to New York City and adapted them to the new environment.
New York Pizza Is The History Of Pizza
In addition to know what is New York style pizza, here are some information about its history. New York-style pizza has a rich history that traces back to Gennaro Lombardi’s opening of America’s first pizzeria, Lombardi’s, in 1905. Located in the Little Italy neighborhood of Manhattan, this landmark establishment served its signature large and wide pies. 5¢ slices of pizza were sold by Antonio Totonno Pero, an employee of Lombardi’s.
Difference Between New York-Style Pizza And “Regular” Pizza
After knowing what is New York style pizza, here is the difference between New York style pizza and regular pizza. New York-style pizza is characterized by large and wide slices with a thin, foldable yet crispy crust. Traditionally, it is topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, with any additional toppings added on top. On the other hand, “regular” or “plain” pizza refers to a cheese pizza without any extra toppings.
Is New York-Style Pizza Thick Or Thin?
New York-style pizza features a characteristically large hand-tossed thin crust, which is soft, thin, and pliable beneath its toppings. The crust is thick and crisp only along its edge. This style of pizza evolved from the Neapolitan-style pizza in Italy and became popular in New York City in the early 1900s. It is now the dominant style in the New York metropolitan area and variously enjoyed throughout the United States, with regional variations in the Northeast and other parts of the country.
How To Make New York-Style Pizza?
After understanding what is New York style pizza, here are ingredients and directions of making New York style pizza.
- 22 1/2 ounces bread flour, plus more for dusting (638g; about 4 1/2 cups)
- 0.5 ounce granulated sugar (15g; about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 0.35 ounce kosher salt (10g; about 1 tablespoon)
- 0.35 ounce instant yeast (10g; about 2 teaspoons)
- 15 ounces lukewarm water (415g; about 1 3/4 cups) (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 batch New York style pizza sauce
- 1 pound grated full-fat dry mozzarella cheese (454g; about 4 cups), placed in the freezer for at least 15 minutes
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Pulse 3 to 4 times to incorporate.
- Add water and olive oil. Run the food processor until the mixture forms a ball that rides around the bowl above the blade, about 15 seconds. Continue processing for 15 seconds longer.
- Transfer the dough ball to a lightly floured surface and knead it once or twice by hand until a smooth ball is formed. It should pass the windowpane test.
- Divide the dough into three even portions and place each in a covered quart-sized deli container or zipper-lock freezer bag. Place in the refrigerator and allow it to rise for at least 1 day, and up to 5.
- At least two hours before baking, remove the dough from the refrigerator and shape it into balls by gathering the dough towards the bottom and pinching it shut. Flour well and place each dough ball in a separate medium mixing bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow it to rise at warm room temperature until roughly doubled in volume.
- One hour before baking, adjust the oven rack with the pizza stone to the middle position and preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Turn a single dough ball out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently press the dough out into a rough 8-inch circle, leaving the outer inch higher than the rest. Gently stretch the dough by draping it over your knuckles to form a 12- to 14-inch circle about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer to a pizza peel.
- Spread approximately 2/3 cup of sauce evenly over the surface of the crust, leaving a 1/2- to 1-inch border along the edge. Evenly spread 1/3 of the cheese over the sauce.
- Slide the pizza onto the baking stone and bake until the cheese is melted with some browned spots and the crust is golden brown and puffed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the pizza to a cutting board, slice, and serve immediately. Repeat the process with the remaining two dough balls, sauce, and cheese.
You might be interested: what is a margherita pizza
What Toppings Are On A New York-Style Pizza?
Besides knowing what is New York style pizza, it typically features a variety of classic toppings, including pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, onion, meatball, bell pepper, olive, freshly sliced mozzarella, fresh basil, and an option to skip the sauce and add additional cheeses if desired.
How To Store New York Style Pizza?
When storing leftover pizza, ensure to keep it in an airtight container, resealable bag, or wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. Refrigerate the pizza for up to 5 days. For reheating, place the slices in a 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes or use a covered dry skillet with 1 teaspoon of water until warmed through.
What To Serve With NYC Pizza?
In terms of accompanying dishes for NYC pizza, here are some delectable options:
- Meatballs: You already know these savory treats, right? At Streets, our meatballs are made even more magical with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella. They make a perfect appetizer when the pizza is less savory or for those seeking additional protein without it being on their pizza.
- Meatball Sliders: Take four of our delicious meatballs and place them on passion bread. Add mozzarella and basil, then bake them to perfection. Voila! You now have four mouthwatering meatball sliders, perfect for sharing before your pizza arrives.
- Cheesy Passion Bread: Let’s talk about our fan-favorite cheesy passion bread. We take passion bread and top it off with melted mozzarella, then serve it with tomato sauce. This delightful combination emphasizes two of the best pizza flavors: melted cheese and tomato sauce. Cheesy passion bread is an ideal choice when you have a hungry group and think that one pizza might not be sufficient. Or maybe you’re just a cheese lover (we totally understand!).
- Baked New York Chicken Wings: Indulge in our order of twelve crispy and perfectly baked New York chicken wings. Choose your preferred sauce from options such as medium, hot, honey hot, BBQ, honey BBQ, parmesan & garlic, or honey gold. We serve them with a side of ranch or blue cheese. Chicken wings are a classic pairing with pizza, and they hold a special place among our favorites.
- Chicken Tenders: Our juicy chicken tenders provide another excellent option for appetizing. These tender cuts of chicken are fried and served with seasoned Streets fries, along with your choice of BBQ or ranch sauce. Chicken tenders are favorites among picky kids and those who crave a generous portion of chicken. While wings offer that bone-in flavor, tenders provide meat without any questions.
- Artichoke Spinach Dip: Indulge in the incredible blend of flavors that our artichoke spinach dip offers. This creamy dish consists of cream cheese, sour cream, cooked spinach, marinated artichoke hearts, parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and seasonings, all combined with artichoke hearts. We serve it with garlic buttered pizza bread, providing the ultimate focus on flavor and dip-ability.
- Bruschetta: Bruschetta is a perfect appetizer to pair with NYC pizza. Its classic flavors complement the main course, creating a delightful combination.
- Italian Sausage: When serving NYC pizza, Italian sausage makes an excellent appetizer choice. Its savory flavors and Italian influence perfectly complement the overall meal.
- Pizza Rollup: As an accompaniment to NYC pizza, consider the delicious Pizza Rollup. This unique take on pizza features a stuffed bread filled with two toppings of your choice. Pair it with marinara sauce for an exquisite flavor combination.
Harmony Saunders is the CEO and founder of Bamboo Wok, a family-owned and operated Chinese restaurant that has been serving the Manvel, Rosharon, and Alvin communities for more than nine years. Our delicious dishes are made from scratch with the best ingredients, vegetables are fresh cut daily in our kitchen, and poultry is delivered every two days.
So whether you’re craving Chinese food for the family or need catering for your next event, please give us a try! We know you won’t be disappointed with our fresh, authentic Asian fare.