Have you ever had to decide whether or not to have a delicious slice of leftover pizza for lunch the next day but were unsure if it was still good? If so, you’re not alone. Figuring out how long is pizza good for in the fridge and at its best quality can be tricky, especially since there are several factors that come into play. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at all the key elements involved in determining how long is pizza good for in the fridge. So read on and find out exactly how long your leftovers will last while still being delicious.
How Long Is Pizza Good For In The Fridge?
First, let’s exploring “how long is pizza good for in the fridge?”. According to the USDA’s food safety guidelines, leftover pizza can remain in the refrigerator for up to four days, assuming the two-hour rule was observed. It is recommended to tightly wrap the leftover pizza in foil or plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container for proper refrigeration.
How To Store Pizza In The Fridge?
After knowing how long is pizza good for in the fridge, here are steps to properly store pizza in the fridge for optimal taste and quality:
- Stack and wrap: Begin by placing a single layer of pizza slices on a dinner plate. Top the slices with a layer of wax, freezer, foil, or parchment paper. Continue stacking the slices, alternating between pizza and paper, until all the slices are on the plate.
- Wrap tightly: Take plastic wrap and wrap the entire plate of stacked pizza slices tightly. This ensures maximum freshness and prevents any air from getting in.
- Refrigerate: Place the wrapped plate of pizza in the refrigerator. This will maintain the best quality of the pizza for 3 to 4 days.
By storing leftover pizza in this manner, you can enjoy tastier reheated pizza. Note that if you prefer to store pizza for a longer duration, it can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Read more: what is brooklyn style pizza
How To Store Pizza In The Freezer Properly?
To properly store pizza in the freezer, follow these steps:
- Allow the pizza to cool completely before freezing.
- Take the slices out of the pizza box.
- If you have multiple leftover slices, separate them.
- Wrap each slice tightly with plastic wrap.
- Store the wrapped slices in an airtight container or freezer bag. Ensure to remove as much air as possible before sealing the bag.
- Place the container or bag in the freezer.
- When done correctly, frozen pizza slices can be kept for up to three months. To maintain the best quality, make sure to tightly wrap the leftover slices to prevent freezer burn.
Common Mistakes While Storing Pizza In The Fridge
- Improper Wrapping: Failing to wrap the pizza properly allows air to come in contact, causing moisture loss and making it dry and unappetizing. It is recommended to use an airtight container, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or wax paper.
- Overextending Storage: Although refrigeration can extend the shelf life of leftover pizza, it can still go bad after a few days. To ensure safety, pizza should be stored in the fridge for a maximum of three to four days.
- Storing Opened Pizza Boxes: Storing an opened box of pizza in the fridge is not recommended. The condensation that forms when air enters the box adds moisture and makes the slices soggy and unpleasant.
How To Reheat Leftover Pizza?
In A Oven
To reheat leftover pizza, there are two equally satisfying oven methods that can be followed.
Method 1: Reheat Pizza on a Hot Tray in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place a baking tray inside.
- Once the oven is preheated, place the pizza slices on the hot tray in the oven.
- Bake for five minutes on the middle rack.
- Remove from the oven and let the pizza cool before serving.
Method 2: Reheat Pizza on Tin Foil in the Oven
- Place a piece of tin foil directly on the oven rack.
- Put the pizza on the foil.
- Bake for five minutes at 450 degrees. For a softer crust, reheat for ten minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy your reheated pizza.
- Microwave the pizza for 30 seconds to warm it up.
- Place the pizza on a tray and put it into a cold oven.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the pizza when the oven finishes preheating.
- Place the cold pizza on a non-stick pan.
- Heat for about two minutes over medium-low heat until the bottom of the slice becomes pleasantly crisp.
- Wet your fingers under the faucet and sprinkle a few drops of water (less than a teaspoon) into the pan, causing it to sizzle.
- Cover the pan with a lid to allow the evaporating water droplets to rehydrate the cheese.
- Reduce the heat to low and heat for an additional minute.
Remember to exercise caution and avoid overheating, particularly with thin-crust pizzas that heat through quickly. It is also advisable to use a non-stick pan instead of a cast-iron pan.
Read on to learn more: how many slices are in a medium pizza
Homemade Pizza Ideas
If you have leftover pizza, why not get creative and try some new recipes? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Pizza Toppings: Use your leftover pizza as toppings for a fresh homemade pizza. Simply roll out the dough, add sauce and cheese, and top with your favorite slices of leftover pizza.
- Breakfast Pizza: Use leftover pizza as a base for a breakfast pizza. Top with scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, and cheese.
- Pizza Grilled Cheese: Use two slices of leftover pizza to make a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Simply add some extra cheese between the slices and heat in a pan until crispy and melted.
Harmony Saunders is the CEO and founder of Bamboo Wok, a family-owned and operated Chinese restaurant that has been serving the Manvel, Rosharon, and Alvin communities for more than nine years. Our delicious dishes are made from scratch with the best ingredients, vegetables are fresh cut daily in our kitchen, and poultry is delivered every two days.
So whether you’re craving Chinese food for the family or need catering for your next event, please give us a try! We know you won’t be disappointed with our fresh, authentic Asian fare.