Are you a fan of cold brew coffee, but hate paying top dollar for those expensive coffees at the local cafe? Why not learn how to make cold brew in a french press right from home using nothing more than a French Press! With this easy-to-follow guide, you can be sipping on warm or ice-cold, creamy and refreshing cold brew in no time. Whether you’re an experienced barista looking for another way to craft your favorite beverage or just getting into cold brewing, this tutorial will help kickstart your newfound passion – without costing an arm and a leg. So let’s get started.
- 1 What Is Cold Brew?
- 2 What Is A French Press?
- 3 Why Use A French Press To Make Cold Brew?
- 4 Best Coffee For Cold Brew
- 5 Ingredients And Equipment Needed To Make Cold Brew
- 6 How To Make Cold Brew In A French Press?
- 7 The Cold Brew French Press Ratio
- 8 What Is The Optimal Brewing Time For Cold Brew In A French Press?
- 9 How Do I Store My Cold Brew In A French Press?
- 10 Serving Cold Brew Coffee
What Is Cold Brew?
Cold brew coffee, as the name suggests, is coffee brewed using cold water instead of hot or lukewarm water. This method of brewing coffee offers a smooth, less acidic and caffeinated cup without the bitter aftertaste you get with hot brewed coffee. Cold brew is also great for people with stomach sensitivity to caffeine, as it typically has a lower acidity level than regular coffee.
What Is A French Press?
A French Press, also known as a cafetiere or coffee press, is a manual brewing device that consists of a cylindrical carafe and a plunger with a metal mesh filter. This method of brewing coffee has been around for centuries and is still popular today due to its simplicity and ability to produce a rich, full-bodied cup of coffee. However, with a few tweaks, the French Press can also be used to make cold brew coffee. This is because it allows for full immersion of the coffee grounds in water, resulting in a flavorful and smooth cup of cold brew.
Why Use A French Press To Make Cold Brew?
A french press is an affordable and simple household item that can be used to make your favorite cold brew in no time. It is known for its ability to infuse the coffee grounds with water evenly, resulting in a well-extracted and flavorful cup of coffee. Plus, it also allows for easy cleanup, making it a convenient option for those who want to make cold brew at home.
Best Coffee For Cold Brew
The best coffee for cold brew is a medium to coarse ground coffee with a strong and bold flavor. The ideal beans should be freshly roasted, as this will give the best flavor and aroma when brewed. Some popular options include Columbian, Ethiopian, or Indonesian coffees. However, feel free to experiment and find your favorite blend for your cold brew.
Ingredients And Equipment Needed To Make Cold Brew
To make cold brew in a French Press, you will need the following ingredients and equipment:
- Coarsely ground coffee
- Cold Filtered water
- A French Press
- A spoon for stirring
- A glass jar or container to store the cold brew once brewed.
How To Make Cold Brew In A French Press?
“How to make cold brew in a french press?” To make cold brew in a French press, follow these steps:
- Add coffee grounds and water using a 1:1 ratio. For example, use 140 grams of coffee and 140 grams of water.
- Stir the mixture gently to ensure all the coffee grounds are fully saturated.
- Place the lid on the French press, but do not plunge yet. Allow the mixture to steep for 12-24 hours at room temperature.
- After the desired steeping time, slowly press down the plunger to separate the coffee grounds from the liquid.
- Transfer the cold brew concentrate to a pitcher, and dilute it with water or milk according to your preference.
- Serve the cold brew over ice.
The Cold Brew French Press Ratio
The cold brew French press ratio refers to the amount of coffee grounds to water used in the brewing process. A general rule of thumb is to use a 1:1 ratio, but this can be adjusted depending on how strong you prefer your cold brew. If 1:1 is too strong, try using a 1:2 ratio of coffee to water. You can adjust this according to your taste preference and the strength of the coffee you’re using.
What Is The Optimal Brewing Time For Cold Brew In A French Press?
To prepare cold brew in a French Press, start by adding the coffee grounds to the base of the press. Cover the grounds with cold water, but do not push down the plunger yet. Allow the French Press to sit in a cold and dark location, such as a refrigerator, for 12-15 hours. Once the steeping time is complete, push down the plunger and pour the cold brew over ice. If you prefer a stronger brew, you can increase the steeping time to 24 hours.
How Do I Store My Cold Brew In A French Press?
Cold brew can be stored in the French Press itself or transferred to a clean glass jar or container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or freeze it in ice cube trays for an even longer shelf life. Just remember to dilute the concentrated cold brew before drinking after freezing. Now that you know how simple it is to make cold brew in a French Press, go ahead and experiment with different coffee beans and ratios to find your perfect cup of cold brew at home.
Serving Cold Brew Coffee
Cold brew coffee can be served in a variety of ways depending on your personal preferences. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add milk or cream and sweetener for a creamy and indulgent cold brew.
- Use the concentrated cold brew as a base for other drinks such as iced lattes, mochas, or even cocktails.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a decadent treat.
- Add cold brew ice cubes to your iced coffee to prevent it from getting watered down.
- Serve with a slice of lemon or orange for a refreshing citrus twist.
Harmony Saunders is the CEO and founder of Bamboo Wok, a family-owned and operated Chinese restaurant that has been serving the Manvel, Rosharon, and Alvin communities for more than nine years. Our delicious dishes are made from scratch with the best ingredients, vegetables are fresh cut daily in our kitchen, and poultry is delivered every two days.
So whether you’re craving Chinese food for the family or need catering for your next event, please give us a try! We know you won’t be disappointed with our fresh, authentic Asian fare.